Capacity planning template helps you manage employee time, understand his capacity and stay on assigned project budget. This spreadsheet template can help you improve resource planning and deliver project goals. Best thing about our templates is you can tailor it as per your requirements.
- Better resource management.
- Highlight resource gaps on weekly basis.
- Multiple project resource planning.
- Highlights which resource types are in high demand or resource types which are free.
- Has a built-in resource pool which can be used to setup resources.
- The resource pool can be used set the availability of the resource types on a weekly basis.
- Can handle up to 10 resource types.
Follow the below steps to start using the Capacity Planning Template Excel--
Before going on to steps to use template note here that there are two key sections of this template that are Capacity Planner and Resource Requirements.
Capacity Planner -
The Capacity Planner consists of two areas - Planner and Resource Pool. Resource Pool is the area where you configure all your resources and their availability.. The Planner area is the key as it displays the availability and deficit based on the Resource Requirements.
Resource Requirements -
The Resource Requirements tab is the area where the planned projects and resource are allocated.
Gathering Project Information
- Gather a list of projects which are to be planned for the specified duration.
- Collect high-level estimates for the projects. During the capacity planning phase, it is natural to not have detailed estimates and WBS.
- Generally, the projects are also resourced on past estimates or guesstimates.
Updating the Resource Pool or Resource Loading
- Update the Resource Pool Section with the resource types in your organization.
- This activity can be called as resource loading because a resource managers go ahead and allocate all the tasks even if it means overloading the resource.
- If you have too many resource types I would recommend keeping the resource type to as minimum as possible to avoid maintenance overhead.
- In the resource pool section update the total availability for the resource type. For example, if you have two project managers who are full time then the total availability will be 10 days, if you have DBA who is part-time then it 2.5.
- Also, update the holidays or vacation times. For example, if there one public holiday in a week starting 4th Jan then that week everyone should be available for 4 days.
- If an individual is going on leave then you can update the availability for that resource type. For example, if you have two project managers then the usual availability would be 10 days but if one of then is going on leave it would reduce to 5 days a week.
No changes are required in the planner section so do not update any data under the planner area.
Update the resource requirements
- For each project start entering the project name, project phase and select the resource type.
- Then enter the requirements for that resource in weeks.
- Review the planner section to see issues with the resource needs.
- The capacity planner auto highlights cells to indicate any issues with the allocations or utilization.
1. Is it safe to provide my credit card/payment information?
YES, our store is powered by Shopify which is one of the most trusted e-commerce platforms. Shopify is certified Level 1 PCI DSS compliant. All Shopify stores include an SSL certificate that uses industry standard 256-bit encryption technology. This is the same level of encryption used by large banks to keep your information secure.
2. Is this a one time payment or monthly membership?
All our products are ONE TIME PAYMENT. We do not offer subscriptions so whatever you pay will be be one time.
3. How do I access my downloads?
After you checkout, you will be taken to a download page. You will also get a download link in your email.
4. What if the download link does not work?
Sometimes links can be blocked by a corporate firewall so please try using the link from a different network or from home. If you still cannot access drop an email to email@example.com and use our Contact Us Page.
5. What are the different types of payments accepted?
We accept PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Master Card , Amex and VISA.
6. Do you provide refunds?
Yes, we do when the templates don't work or you cannot download. Please check our Refund Policy.
7. Do these templates work with Excel?
Yes, the templates are built using MS Office so will work on Excel.
8. Can the templates be customized or edited?
Yes, our templates can be edited and changed as you need. There are no restrictions.
9. Why do you have a logo on the documents?
The Techno-PM logo is only visible on the template images. We do not use logos on templates so you can customize the template as needed.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.