The first step in using the template is to set up your project information and then use the template to track the project on a regular basis.
The template has the following key sections -
- Task tracker (semi-automated)
- Milestones & key dates
- Task meter (auto-updated)
- Resource workload (auto-updated)
- Top 5 risks & issues (semi-automated)
- Open Action & Change Requests (semi-automated)
- Notes & To-Do List (semi automated)
- Data section
Task Tracker Section
- The task tracker is the key section of the template.
- Enter a task name, Owner, Start Date & Duration.
- The template will auto-populate end date, forecast & status.
- End date is calculated by adding duration to start date.
- The Forecast is the expected progress. So, this will show % that the tasks should have progressed to date.
- Status is auto-populated with green, amber & red depending on the task status.
- If the task is on track, then the status is green. If the task is up to 5% behind then, the status is amber. If the task is delayed by more than 5% the status is red.
As you progress with the project, you will need to update the Actual column, which is the % progress done so far for the project.
Milestones & Key Dates
- In this section, you should capture your key project stage gates. Examples of this are Go Live, Funding Sign off, testing complete, etc.
- In the first column in the description, then status and end date. For status you can select On Track (green), Concern (amber) & Delayed (red).
Task Meter and Resource Workload
- Task meter shows the status of the tasks & resource meter shows the resources' workload in hours.
- Both these sections are auto-updated.
Top 5 risks/issues & actions/changes
- Risks/issues section is to capture the current open risks / issues.
- The actions/change is a general section to capture actions/changes.
- Both these sections capture description, Owner & Status. The owner is the individual who owns this task.
- For status, you can select On Track (green), Concern (amber) & Delayed (red).
Notes / To Do
Capture your to-do/notes with a due date. The task will be highlighted when the due date is passed.
Resource names should be created here. Creating resource names here will populate the name in the drop-down in the tasks section.